If you practice proper deck maintenance, you know the importance of regular cleanings. However, should you pressure wash your deck to get it clean? Keep reading to discover everything you should know about washing your deck surface without risking damage.
As a leading pressure washing company in Surrey, ClearView Home Services knows all the nuances of power washing and how to keep your property both clean and undamaged.
The Risks of Pressure Washing Your Wood Deck
If you use your deck as an outdoor living space, it likely accumulates a lot of dirt and grime and experiences some wear and tear. Whether you’re looking to provide a simple cleaning or are preparing to stain, paint, or refinish your deck, you need a clean surface.
Using a power washer to clean the entire deck is an alluring option because it’s an easy and efficient method. However, wood decks, especially those made from soft wood, are extremely vulnerable to power washing.
If you use too much pressure on your deck, it could suffer the following damage:
- Splintering of the wood fibers, especially if they’re already damaged
- Scarring the boards, leaving unsightly scratches
- Dislodging large pieces off of or chipping the deck boards
If you improperly power wash your deck, you could also void its warranty. Damage caused by high-pressure water usually isn’t covered, so you’ll pay for any repairs out of your own pocket.
Safe Methods of Cleaning Your Deck
Now that you know the answer to, “Should you pressure wash your deck?” you can practice other ways to remove dirt. Also known as soft washing, regular basic deck cleaning is one of the most important aspects of deck maintenance.
Follow these steps to clean your deck without complications:
- Gather your materials. You’ll need a broom, garden hose, bristle brush, and a deck cleaner like dish soap. Avoid using any cleaning solutions with bleach.
- Remove any furniture or objects from the deck wood.
- Clear leaves and other debris with a broom and consistent sweeping motion.
- Test your cleaning solution on a small area to verify it doesn’t stain the wood grain.
- Scrub the entire deck with the cleaning solution, warm water, and your bristle brush. Hand scrubbing requires significant elbow grease, but it can effectively remove embedded dirt from a wood deck.
- Rinse the deck using a hose with a relatively low pressure setting. Verify you completely clear the cleaning solution to avoid building up a film that will require additional deck cleaning.
- Allow the deck to dry completely before returning furniture and decorations.
Deck cleaning by hand avoids any risk of damage from a pressure washer.
Cleaning Your Deck With a Pressure Washer
While you could technically power wash your deck with a lower level of pressure, when you hire professional pressure washers, your deck becomes cleaner than your DIY attempt without any of the risks.
When should you hire a professional to wash your deck?
- If you believe your deck needs repairs, a professional cleaning can help you gain a clear assessment of the damage and whether anything actually requires fixing.
- Does your deck still look dirty after you cleaned it by hand? A professional pressure washer can remove even the most difficult build-up of grime and dirt.
- When you want to paint, finish, stain, or waterproof your deck, you’ll need to clear the previous layers of treatment before applying a new one.
What To Consider When Choosing a Professional Power Washer?
If you’re ready to hire a professional power washer, consider the following criteria to find the best one:
- Experience: Choose a company that has specific experience in washing decks. Ask your friends for referrals and read several reviews to ensure they’re a good fit.
- Method: Ask the company what level of pressure they use. For a deck, the power shouldn’t exceed 1,500 PSI and should use a wide fan.
- Distance: Verify they know what they’re doing by asking what distance they hold the pressure washer. They should maintain a consistent distance of at least two feet.
- Frequency: Ask how often they suggest you hire a power washer for your deck. Once a year is enough.
Contact ClearView Home Services for Expert Pressure Washing
Should you pressure wash your deck? Only with the help and knowledge of a professional pressure washer. ClearView Home Services provides quality and professional services to keep your outdoor spaces and siding looking clean and like new.
Whether you’re wondering about the difference between pressure vs. soft washing or need a quote about our services, we’re here to answer any questions. For more information or to book an appointment, call (604) 944-9972.